Hey music lovers,
As summer is drawing to an end, we realize how much stuff we still have to do. We promised ourselves to cross things off our bucket lists but realize the time is slipping slowly from our hands. Fear not though. As you know, summer is only halfway over, so we still have half a summer to work with.
Below is a simple bucket list; a bucket list that I want you to do for you. Some are easy to cross off while others are a challenge. So, without further ado, let us begin.
10. Sleep. This is such a simple task that sometimes it is difficult to do. During the busy times we only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night, but now is the time to “catch up”. give yourself a few more hours this summer, but don’t waste your summer away by hitting the snooze button every half hour. Having trouble sleeping? Put together a sleep playlist to listen to when you are trying to sleep. Slow songs are ideal, such as Taylor Swift’s “All Too Well”, “I’ll Be” by Edwin McCane, and John Mayer’s “Why Georgia”.
9. Read A Book. Sometimes those summer nights can get lonesome, or you’re stuck inside on a rainy day. Instead of wasting your brain cells on endless Netflix series, such as Orange is the New Black, pick up a book and adventure off somewhere new and exciting. Before you know it, you’ll be engulfed in TFIOS, the Divergent series, or even “Just Listen”, one of my personal favorites. Music can help you concentrate when you read, and classical music is the route to go.
8. Create A Piece of Art. For you non-artistic people out there, this could be somewhat of a challenge. However, there are some easy art pieces you can do. You can do sidewalk chalk, crayon art, and even just splatter paint a canvas. You could also sketch a person or piece of nature, create music, whatever your heart desires! As long as you have fun with it, nothing else matters. When I work on a piece of art, I tend to listen to Rock and Roll music like Bon Jovi, the Beatles, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, and so much more. Whatever music gets you in the creative mindset, go for it!
7. Go to the Beach. But only when it’s open (thanks to a friend, it was okay for us to go on). This sounds like a no-brainer, but I have YET to lay on the beach this year. Yes I have stepped foot on the cool sand, but never spent a full day there. It’s time to grab your shades, sunscreen, and beach ball for a relaxing day in the summer sun. My go-to pump up beach song is 100% Nicki Minaj’s “Starships”, along with some country summer classics from Brad Paisley, Florida Georgia Line, Jake Owen, Luke Bryan, and more. Shake your tail feathers and enjoy your beach (and killer tan)!
6. Eat Some Ice Cream. There is no better time to treat yourself to something than in the summer. All your favorite ice cream parlors open back up for business! And, let’s be honest, there are copious amounts of flavors to choose from, it’s irresistible. From Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl to Strawberry Cheesecake, to Classic Coffee, they are all to die for. And the perfect summer dates are always the ice cream dates. Whenever you get ice cream, you can’t help but sing “I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!”
5. Spur the Moment. Thankfully, I have already done this one and can cross this off my list. I had this problem early in the summer where I couldn’t sleep. I looked out my window and saw the sun coming up, and realized it was about 4:30. So, instead of being restless for even longer, I grabbed my jacket and my keys, the my hair in a bun and went on an adventure. I ended up driving to Lake Ontario and watching the sun rise over the water. This was on my bucket list for a while, and I was so happy to finally cross it off. It wasn’t planned, and it was worth staying up for. In your spur the moment adventure, choose a spur the moment playlist. I think by putting your phone or iPod on shuffle is the perfect way to begin your moment. Choose a song you are in the mood for, and don’t settle. This is your moment, and it can be captured by the music you choose to play.
4. Go to A Mom & Pop Restaurant. This is where you find THE BEST FOOD EVER! And I mean that. Every time I go back home, I always have a bagel at Lox of Bagels. This isn’t a chain restaurant, but a good place to go, converse with friends or family, and have homemade bagels. Non-chain restaurants are the way to go, and I’m sure you will find delicious food along the way. For this, I wouldn’t choose your playlist, have the restaurant choose it for you! Some like the radio, others have mixed CDs. Either way, there is always something new you’ll hear (and probably eat) while you are there.
*These are our morning faces…*
3. Make A Day Full of Pictures. From the moment you wake up until the moment you (almost) fall asleep, take pictures that excite yo. It could be a picture of your morning face with your pet, or the food you ate at lunch, or you and your friends. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so why not make a day of it? The first song that comes to mind is Nickleback’s “Photograph”, and how one day you will look at the pictures, smile, laugh, and reminisce to the “good ‘ol days”.
2. Go On An Adventure. This is kind of like a spur the moment, but this one is planned out. Plan on doing something you haven’t done before, or you haven’t done by yourself before. I have an adventure coming up with my brother. We are taking a day trip somewhere, whether it be to Albany, New York City, or to Boston. No matter where we go, we will make the best of it. For your adventure, create a Roadtrip 2014 CD between you and your pals by choosing songs that you all enjoy, and of course adding a few classics like “Fast Car” by Tracy Chapman, or “500 Miles” by The Proclaimers, and even R. Kelly’s “Ignition (Remix)”. As long as you have fun with it, that’s all that matters.
1. Find Your Happiness. For some people, the little things in life make them happy. For others, it’s a struggle to find happiness in their lives. Sometimes it’s living in the moment, other times it’s finding summer romance, and it can even be to be reunited with someone. Once you have found your happiness, hold onto it. If you are unhappy, change it. This is YOUR life, and YOU deserve to be happy. The only person who can do that, is you. Don’t be afraid to discover who you really are in life, and never be afraid to take a chance. Once you find true happiness, you’ll never want to lose that. A song that makes you feel alive, strong, and happy is Imagine Dragon’s “On Top of the World”. It’s one that will make you smile and feel like you can do anything if you set your mind to it.
So what are you waiting for? You only have half of the summer left, and it’s time to get crackin’! Good luck on your adventures, and be sure to cross everything off your summer bucket list.
Until next time, dance, live, and love music.
*Note: Some pictures are not my own*