Hey music lovers. It’s been a little while but now it’s time for action. Want to know what the top songs are for this week? No worries, I’ve got you covered.
10. Matt Nathanson- “Come On Get Higher”. When this song first released in 2007, it was the go to love song. This song has a beautiful, relaxing sound to it, and when Nathanson sings “swing of your hips”, you can’t help but do as he asks. This song is absolutely beautiful and as summer begins to roll around, it’s the perfect summer night stargazing, bonfire song to listen to.
9. Boys Like Girls- “Stuck In the Middle”. This song is on the band’s latest EP “Crazy World”. Sometimes we all have our down days, or the days that we are most stressed and all we want to do is banish away for a while. Sometimes, we just feel stuck. This song reassures us that we can get through this tough time, because with bad moments comes the happy ones. Even if we feel like breaking down, we can hold it together and make it through. If ever you need a song that is there for reassurance, this is your song (and my song I’ve had on repeat for the last week and a half. But hey, it helps!)
8. Augustana- “Boston”. This song reminds me of the beautiful city, with people swarming around, baseball at the heart of the city, and being full of opportunities and happiness. But this song is more than about the lovely city. It’s about needing a change, about getting away and reinventing yourself. Sometimes we need changes in order to find out who we really are. We need to go to places where no one knows us to make changes. By going somewhere no one knows who you are, you allow yourself the opportunity to create a new you, no matter where that is. Sometimes you need changes in your life, and this song tells you that by going somewhere else for a while, you can do that.
7. Goo Goo Dolls- “Black Balloon”. This song is an old one, but one that is full of life. I love how the Goo Goo Dolls create different sounds that come together to create such an amazing song. I’m always a sucker for violins, guitars, and keyboards in a song, which this one has. This song is a song that allows you to escape reality for a while and adventure into your mind. It makes you really listen to the lyrics and make sense of what the Goo Goo Dolls are trying to say. I feel like in this song, everyone takes away a different message, which I believe is exactly what they are trying to do. Everyone interprets a song differently, and I feel like this song really brings that out.
6. Zac Brown Band- “Toes”. Need a vacation song to bring you away? The tropical beat of this song is the perfect beach getaway song. And let’s be honest, the lyrics fit perfectly with the laid back percussion of this song. Who doesn’t want to leave the warm sun, the smell of sat water, and sand between your toes? I know I don’t. Living simple is the key to a happy life, and this song is as simple as it gets. And as summer is knocking at your door, you can’t help but play this song over and over again in preparation for the future.
5. Lady Antebellum- “American Honey”. A beautiful country song where there really is “nothing sweeter than summertime”. Summertime is where all the magic occurs, where for young adults and for adults themselves, there are no rules, no discipline, just the freedom to explore. The freedom to dream big and accomplish so much. Sometimes we take summers for granted and we miss those simple years where we had so many opportunities to explore without being criticized and to make mistakes if we pleased. So we must take in the moments that we forget to cherish, because the moments will be gone before we know it.
4. Lifehouse- “Falling In”. Need a love song that will take your breath away? This is my go to beautiful song from no other than one of my favorite bands. Off of their “Smoke and Mirrors” album, this song is about one person changing everything for another. When you’re in love, you get butterflies in your stomach, you do crazy things for someone else, and sometimes we do have our doubts, but with the other person they can “feel like home”. The other person completes you and suddenly you aren’t so scared anymore, but more willing to take the jump with your new love. With lead singer Jason Wade’s voice combined with the interesting combination of instruments and technology sounds, this song is absolutely beautiful and if you are in love, I guarantee you will play this on repeat for a very long time.
3. Semisonic- “Closing Time”. When I worked at Dunkin’ Donuts, I always closed up the shop, and this is the song I would always sing. It’s a throwback song about being out and the place you are at is about to close down. “You don’t have to go home but you can’t stay here”. To me this is such a comical but true line in the song, however my favorite line in the song is “every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end”. This statement could not be more true. When we really think about it, it’s like the saying “as one door closes, another one opens”, which means we can’t always dwell on the past become something better will come along, like meeting someone new. I love the melody of this song because it isn’t hard core rock, but it isn’t slow enough to put you to sleep either, and the piano solo going into the electric guitar solo is guaranteed to give you goosebumps.
2. Matt Hires- “Forever”. This guy is going to hit it big. His sound is a lot like Mumford and Sons. I saw Matt Hires in concert when he opened up for Matchbox Twenty, and he was absolutely fantastic. I love this song because of the beautiful sounds and the guitar build up to the chorus. This song is about being in the moment with someone you like and taking in that moment. Sometimes, we plan too much for the future that we forget to live now, which is what Hires is saying. I can see this song playing as you lay on the grass stargazing with someone on a warm summer night. The boom box is sitting next to you as you and someone else is cuddled up in a blanket and you’re just taking it all in. To me, those are the best moments to live in, and Hires connects to that perfectly.
1. Matchbox Twenty- “Push”. This is probably my favorite Matchbox Twenty song the band has ever created. I saw them in concert this past summer when they were playing with the Goo Goo Dolls, and the band ended with this song. Needless to say it was the best way to end this concert. This song opens with the electric guitar setting the stage and Rob Thomas chiming in at the perfect moment. Off of their “Yourself or Someone Like You” album, “Push” is a slower rock song. In an interview, Thomas stated that this song was about a man getting physically or emotionally abused by their significant other. It’s about cutting free from the strings and struggles and moving past the abuse to be a better person by pushing “you around”. Sometimes we need to escape in order to be stronger than we were before, and this song signifies that escape.
So there you go music lovers, the top ten songs for this week. Have a comment, question, or want me to look into something for you? Leave something below.
So until next time, dance, live, and love music.