Hey music lovers. Have you ever listened to a song that you can’t get out of your head for the rest of the day? Or play it on your playlist on repeat when doing work? Or if you’re on the beach and all you want to do is live in that very moment with the song defining who you really are? That’s how I feel about a few songs today. Today I give you my top five go-to songs that relax you and make you want to be free.
5. “Holiday” by Boys Like Girls. I remember playing this song on the beach one day. There was a huge ten minute thunderstorm then all of a sudden it stopped. I was itching to get back out there, so I ran from the hotel to the water. I put my headphones in my ears and played this song on repeat for a good hour. I sat with my toes in the cool sand, looking all around me and realizing I was the only soul on the beach. I never felt so free in my life, with the cool air brushing my face and the music playing allowing me to feel that freedom. Sometimes, the simplest things are the best of things, and it’s something you cannot forget. Now, every time I hear this song, I’m back at that moment that I wish I could pause forever, and “maybe I’ll be back someday”.
4. “Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson. I was driving my car one time, and it just so happened that my ex was riding in the car in front of me with his new lady friend. This song came on the radio, and it seemed to fit the situation perfectly. I jammed out to this song with not a care in the world, to prove that I was okay and I was stronger without him than I was with him. Embrace your strength and focus on yourself before bringing someone else into your life.
3. “Fix You” by Coldplay. The chorus to this song really gets me, but what gets me the most are the lyrics, “tears stream down your face when you lose something you cannot replace.” When I first heard this song I was driving (yes, I tend to drive a lot), late at night to blow off some steam. The streetlights shined all around me, reflecting in my eyes, and I began to cry. This song made me feel like I was so alone at the time, where no one could fix me and the damage that occurred. I felt like I lost everything in a blink of an eye, and everything came crashing down at once. I made my way to the lake and repeated this song, letting it all out. Sometimes we all need a good cry, to remind us that we are human. We can’t always be as strong as we want to be and we do break down. This song tells you that it’s okay to do that, and someone will be there to “fix you”.
2. “Fast Car” by Tracy Chapman. This song is pretty much the perfect road trip song. It’s the getaway song to escape and explore the world with. Whenever I drive through the wooded areas, by the lake, or in the country, I feel at peace when I hear this song. The song allows you to take a deep breath and smile as you relax with the wind in your hair, and your worries left behind you. You are free to “be someone” and this song allows you to believe that you can, which is what I love most. The song tells us not to be afraid to dream and chase those dreams to find some place that fits you perfectly.
1. “Peace” by O.A.R.My go-to song right now, whether it be when I’m working or need a relaxer or to believe again. When I say believe again, I mean to believe in love. This song is about finding the peace between two people and converting back to the simpler times. The little things in life make us the happiest of people, and I feel like sometimes we forget what made us fall in love in the first place. In love, there will always be some hiccups, but you have to hurdle over them to get back to the goodness. If there is a hiccup, don’t give up and keep trying to make things right. If you love someone, show them, kiss them, hold them, love them, and this song represents that love we all know.
Each song has a meaning to all of us. Whether it brings us back to past memories, or reminds us to believe in something we may have forgotten about before. Life is a beautiful thing, and songs like these bring us back to the simple times. If you need a break, play your song that brings you to your happy place. If you need a good cry, play that song over and over on repeat. The greatest thing about music is that it doesn’t judge you for who you are, but embraces you to the person you are becoming. Music is our solid definition when we can’t find words to describe our feelings, and sometimes we forget how grateful we are for music. Don’t let life get in the way of music, but let music be a reminder of your life and what it has to offer.
So until next time, dance, live, and love music.