Hey music lovers. Sorry it’s been a while. My computer decided to play a little game with me and not work until I got it fixed today, so my apologies. Are we ready for the top ten songs of this week? I think so.
10. Taylor Swift- “Stay Beautiful”. This song brings your back to T-Swift’s beginning when she released her first album, “Taylor Swift”. The song had a country twang to it, making it a sweet song to listen to in beautiful spring or summer weather. The song is about staying just the way you are, even if the world changes. It encourages you to take a chance and spring yourself into something new and indulge in your dreams while staying the beautiful person you already are. You can’t help sing along and smile with this song.
9. Passion Pit- “Take A Walk”. This song starts off slow and beautiful, but then introduces you to the alternative rock Passion Pit is. The beat is catchy and the chorus is a chorus you can’t help but bang your head to. What I enjoy most is how easy I can move my body to this song, which is always a plus in my book. This is a definite listen to, and I’m sure you will enjoy it and put it on repeat for the millionth time.
8. Kasey Musgraves- “Follow Your Arrow”. This song is Musgraves’ latest single off of her album “Same Trailer Different Park”. This song is a song that is meant for girls (sorry guys) to follow your heart and dreams. The song has a country feel to it with the tambourine and acoustic guitar, but I feel like it makes the song that much more powerful because it allows you to listen to the lyrics and hear what Musgraves is saying to her audience. Either way people will talk about you, because you can’t please everyone. The sooner you realize it, the happier you will be. Do what you want to do, be yourself, enjoy living in the moment, and do what makes you happy. This song explains all of this, and you only live once, but sometimes, one shot is all you need in order to live it right.
7. The 1975- “Chocolate”. No, this song isn’t about the candy (unfortunately), but it is a neat song to listen to that I have been addicted to ever since it came out. The beat is a mix of techno and rock. The song is one that you have to listen to a couple of times to understand what is being said. Matthew Healy, the lead singer of The 1975, connects perfectly to the music in the background, making this song feel alive and entertaining for all who listen to it.
6. Shakira- “Empire”. At first, I had no idea that this was Shakira, because the beginning does not sound like her at all. When the song gets into the chorus, you can definitely tell that this is Shakira. This song is different from her wild side of “Can’t Remember to Forget You” and her “Hips Don’t Lie” days. This song is slower, allowing Shakira’s voice to overtake the song so she can prove how amazing of a singer she really is. This song is going to hit big, and I would expect nothing less from the “Empire” goddess. Once you hear this song, you’ll have a hard time turning it off.
5. Eminem featuring Nate Ruess- “Headlights”. This song is a powerful new song. At first I didn’t really know how this collaboration would work out. After hearing this song one time, you realize how well the two singers mesh together in this song about Eminem’s mother. Nate Ruess sings the chorus and hook while Eminem raps the versus, making the song interesting to listen to, but once again Eminem proves that he really is the “Rap God”.
4. The Beatles- “Let It Be”. Of course I had to include a throwback of Rock and Roll Hall of Famers the Beatles. This song is a slow song, but a song that everyone should know. It’s a beautiful song explaining that you can’t always force an answer, for it will come when the moment is right. In the meantime, you just have to “let it be”.
3. Bon Jovi- “It’s My Life”. I love this song because Bon Jovi proves that he still has it. It’s about taking advantage of the life you have, because it won’t last forever. Don’t be afraid to speak your mind, let the imagination flow, and be who you were meant to be. Do things your way and never regret it. Not only does Bon Jovi express this message, but the band still has it with it’s guitar solos and funky rock sounds they still have and enhanced even more.
2. Hedley- “Anything”. This song is a catchy song about being confident in yourself. I love when he says, “you miss 100% of the shots you never take”. Take a chance at something that you want. Don’t hold back and wait for opportunities to occur, because that won’t happen. If you want something, you have to go get it. Be the go-getter you are and embrace it! This song has a really cool beat and is truly inspirational.
1. Fitz and the Tantrums- “The Walker”. This song is probably my most addicted song this year so far. I love how the song opens with whistling and a catchy beat of the drums and tambourine. This beat lasts throughout most of the song, which makes it more fun to listen to. The song is about walking to the sound of your own drum (which is a phrase used in the song). If you have a feeling, go after it because it’s probably a good feeling that you cannot control. I absolutely love this song and I know you will too if you don’t already.
This week there were a lot of songs that were inspirational, that are different from the love and heartbreak songs we typically hear. Sometimes we just have to take a step back and really listen to the message the artists are trying to say. This also proves that not all songs are exactly the same. With music, we can be free to express ourselves in a way when words simply cannot do it for us. We trust the music artists create and base it to our own lives. And that is why music is amazing, because each person takes away something different from the songs we listen to.
So until next time, dance, live, and love music.